Broken capillaries, and ingrown hair scars, and dry skin

Sign in here to ask your questions.
2 posts
Lara J C
Report Quote

by Lara J C on Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:58 pm

Broken capillaries, and ingrown hair scars, and dry skin

Hello,

I have broken capillaries, particularly on my cheeks and nose (I have mature skin, and also a tendency for mild rosacea). Is there any natural skincare product that would help reduce them? I've used various skin products over the years but I can't say anything's been significantly useful.

I've also this year noticed a lot of tiny red marks on my legs, which may be ingrown hair scars (and maybe burst blood vessels, I'm not sure). Again, is there anything natural that would reduce these?

I also have very dry (mature) facial skin, and from trial and error I've found the best ingredients to be shea butter, or glycerin (rather than urea), unless you have any other recommendations?

Thank you.

Dr Derrick Phillips
Report Quote

by Dr Derrick Phillips on Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:26 pm

Re: Broken capillaries, and ingrown hair scars, and dry skin

Dear Lara,

Broken capillaries are common in fair-skinned individuals and but can also be a feature of rosacea, particularly in the context of facial flushing, and pimples affecting the centre of the face. There are a range of prescription treatments that can help to address this concern, and I would recommend speaking to your doctor or dermatologist about them. They are in the form of creams and tablets that work by constricting the blood vessels, causing the skin to blanch. Some people experience rebound flushing when the treatments wear off. In my experience, the most effective way to treat broken capillaries is with lasers and IPL which will cause the vessels to fade and disappear over a number of treatments. They can recur over time.

If you are concerned about any skin lesions, I would recommend seeing your GP for further assessment. However, a common red mark that many people develop with the passage of time is a cherry angioma. They can be addressed with laser treatments or skin surgery.

As the skin ages there is a tendency for it to become drier, particularly after the menopause. Skin care rich in humectants (e.g, hyaluronic acid and glycerin) and emollients (e.g, shea butter and ceramides) will hydrate the skin and nourish the skin barrier.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards,

Dr Derrick Phillips

2 posts