Middle age / menopause/ dry skin

Sign in here to ask your questions.
3 posts
Guest Posts
Report Quote

by Guest Posts on Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:24 am

Middle age / menopause/ dry skin

I’ve hit middle age and menopause and I notice my already dry skin has become rough, red and flaky on my chin, nose and forehead around the hairline. I’m moisturising a lot, using spf50 and exfoliating every now and again but it is not improving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks N
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Penelope Pratsou
Report Quote

by Dr Penelope Pratsou on Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:06 pm

Re: Middle age / menopause/ dry skin

Dear N,

As we get older, our skin can get more dry and sensitive. However, you are describing redness and flaking despite regular moisturiser use and at specific sites, which can be suggestive of a skin problem known as seborrhoeic dermatitis (https://dermnetnz.org/topics/seborrhoeic-dermatitis). This can occur in middle age and result in redness and flaking of the scalp, the eyebrows, sides of the nose/inner cheeks. This is thought to occur due the skin's oversensitivity to yeasts sitting on oil rich parts of the skin.

People with seborrhoeic dermatitis find it useful to use anti-yeast shampoos such as Ketoconazole a few times per week on the scalp and affected skin. Sometimes a mild anti-yeast/steroid cream combination is prescribed.

There are of course other causes for dry, red and flaky skin on the face and if unsure it would be best to check with your own GP on the best course of action.

I hope this helps.

Dr Stephanie Gallard
Report Quote

by Dr Stephanie Gallard on Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:38 am

Re: Middle age / menopause/ dry skin

N, I entirely agree with Dr Pratsou. Seborrheic dermatitis is rather common in middle aged ladies, and it is usually easily managed with anti yeast/steroid combinations - although it is important to understand that we don't have a cure. Do see your GP.
Dr Stephanie Gallard
Senior GP & dermatology GPSI
https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/clinics/experts/dr-stephanie-gallard

3 posts